Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Adventures in Cooking

Funny story about lamb... I found a recipie for broiled butterflied leg of lamb in coconut milk with Asian spices, and since I adore cute barnyard animals, I just had to try making it. Now, it turns out that lamb is not the easiest animal to get your hands on, and that lamb appendages are the hardest part of the lamb to find. I went to three supermarkets, finding lamb shoulder, lamb shank, lamb ribs, even lamb neck, but no leg of lamb. So finally, I gave up, I went to Joe's Meat Market, and I learned a little something...

See, growing up in the suburbs prepares you for practically nothing in life. In particular, it leaves you unprepared for those moments in life when you'll have to hack an animal to bits in order to drown its meat in coconut milk and tumeric and have a delicious meal. All I knew about the ovine species is what I saw of those Claymation sheep on the mattress commercial. Turns out that real lambs are a little bit larger than that. Seven pounds and $24.50 larger, in fact. To put that in some sort of perspective, remember in the opening to The Flintstones, how they go to that prehistoric drive-thru and order a rack of mammoth or something that causes their car to topple over? Well, that's how big this lamb's leg was.

Point is, now we're going to be eating nothing but lamb for the next month or so. So, is anybody hungry?

0 comments: