Wednesday, October 6, 2004

A Completely Impartial Review of the TECHXNY Convention at the Javits Center

Instead of going to work yesterday, I went to what I thought was a technology trade show at the Javits Center. I was invited by one of these IT recruiting companies that most likely has no idea what sort of employee they'd get in me. Now, I have to say that, despite being a technophile, I was hesitant about going at first: I assumed I'd be the only guy there who (a) wasn't wearing a tie and (b) looked like he was sixteen. I was only half right.

So I went to the convention center and got this sweet-ass I.D. badge on a string so I'd fit right in. And I have to say that I never could've imagined a technology convention being so damn BORRRRRING!!! Display after display of routers and bridges, LAN and WAN setups, backup storage... where're the latest iPods, the X-Boxes and Playstations, anything remotely interesting? Okay, to be honest, I never took a very close look, since I spent most of my wandering through the techno-geek jungle worrying that if I made eye contact with a nerd, he'd try to sell me something. But, to be honest, the best part of the convention was the discount book sale, even if I couldn't find any discount books that I wanted.

Still, I'm glad I went, because this way I can avoid the damn thing next year and not feel like I missed out on anything. Really, my only regret was not walking out of the convention center with armloads of free stuff.

0 comments: