Friday, December 17, 2004

Random Act of Kindness

I'm rarely given to such sappy titles, but I figure that my blog is filled with so much vitriol that it's only appropriate to mention the brief appearances of anti-cynicism in my life. So, this morning I'm late for the bus and running down Third Street when this red hatchback with a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker on its rear fender stops next to me. The lady in the passenger seat asks me if I'm running to the train station. She says she's seen me at the train station before, and she offers to give me a lift. How nice of her!... and even though she's running late to catch her train, which leaves before my bus does.

Now, however, I'm all grumbly because you're reading this and you're thinking that I'm such a bullshitter, always getting unduly pissed off when I'm not starving, not homeless, and getting rides from strangers. (Ooh, by the way, I took a ride from a stranger! Take that elementary school safety lessons!) But that misses the point: I feel, intrinsically, deep down in my bones, that the karmic scales of the universe still fall against me. They don't even come close to being balanced; that's how I see the world. Donald Trump becomes a national icon by firing people, and I have a painful canker sore on my tongue. Why couldn't it be the other way around?

0 comments: