Thursday, September 8, 2005

Once Again...

I haven't been keeping up with the news lately because, even without help from Mother Nature, it's too depressing. Incompetent leaders, toxic sludge in the drinking water. I did, however, hear a second's worth of good news on the radio: Calvin and Hobbes is being re-released, and though I'm not entirely sure what the big deal is, since there's like thirty Calvin and Hobbes books out and we get a daily re-released strip on the website anyway. Still, it makes me happy that art isn't dead.

I was at Google News looking for more info on the resurrection of Calvin and Hobbes, hoping that Bill Watterson was going to indulge us with new strips (he's not), when I came across this news story from the AP: Schwarzenegger to Veto Gay Marriage Bill. Which I think is unfortunate, but we can thank a fab-ul-ous God that we've got Canada and Spain and Belgium and Holland, now officially homophobe-free. What bugs me is the quote they got from these stupid, stupid gay activists:

"Clearly he's pandering to an extreme right wing, which was not how he got elected," said Geoff Kors, executive director of Equality California, one of the [gay marraige] bill's sponsors. "He got elected with record numbers of lesbian and gay voters who had not previously voted for a Republican, and he sold us out."
So, let me see if I understand this.... You voted for a Republican, and now you're pissed because he has a Republican agenda. Damn, didn't see that one coming. I thought that as a Teutonic right-wing Hitler-idolizing womanizing testosterone geyser, he'd be totally for gay rights. I see him at the Pride parade like every year in a shirt three sizes too small.

Somehow, people are always shocked when Republicans present what their party truly stands for, like they expected David Duke to be psycho, but only a little psycho. Remember when everyone was scandalized when Trent Lott told us that America would be better if Strom Thurmond, rest his senile soul, won his 1948 presidential bid on his segregationist platform. Oh my God, Trent Lott's a closet racist? He's a rich, powerful, white guy from Mississippi of all places. I can't imagine him being a racist. (By the way, kudos to Trent for at least being honest for once. Maybe at Jesse Helms' hundredth birthday party, he'll let slip that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.)

Back to my original point, stop your goddamn bitching about how that Gays For Arnold political campaign wasn't such a great idea after all. In America we get the government we deserve. You want gay marraige rights, next time you've gotta vote for them. I mean, what about Mary Carey. She probably doesn't have all the great education reform ideas, but I don't think she's all that squeamish about gay rights.

Fortunately, California has this great system where the people can recall the governor.

0 comments: