Monday, July 5, 2004

So Disillusioning...

I found the following classified ad on mediabistro.com. It's for a Life & Medical Sciences Book Editor/Senior Editor position at John Wiley & Sons, which is a publishing company & evidently the ampersand capital of the world.

You will be responsible for the development and implementation of the strategic publishing plan in the life and medical sciences ensuring the effective management of the publishing program, including the acquisition, development and profitable publication of books and products in other delivery formats. You will manage the backlist to develop revisions, negotiate terms of publishing agreements, manage the pre-production development, develop sales forecasts and participate in selecting, coaching, developing and appraising editorial support staff.

Candidates must have in-depth knowledge of the editorial job, and proven expertise in acquiring and developing projects and successfully managing and expanding program. Excellent analytical skills and judgment, negotiation skills, strong interpersonal skills and financial management skills required. To be considered, candidates must have 3 to 5 years experience in acquisitions editorial area and possess a BA or BS; PhD preferred.

We offer a competitive salary, bonus potential and a comprehensive benefits package.
You'll notice how often the actual task of editing appears in the job description — not freaking once! Okay, it says candidates need in-depth knowledge of the editorial job (incorrect use of the definite article there, by the way), but the entire position is devoted managing and negotiating and generally avoiding the written word save for those showing up in contracts. Now, call me old-fashioned, but the reason I got into this business that I haven't quite finagled my way into yet is because I like writing! I like ideas, I like words, I like language, and I like reading what others have written. (Not as much I like having others read what I've written though...)

Anybody who gets into publishing for any other reason, Dan Weiss, deserves to spend their afterlife in the third circle of hell, with nothing to read but trade magazines and Jackie Collins novels and paperback romances with a shirtless Fabio on the cover. But that's just my opinion.

0 comments: