Monday, September 20, 2004

Tastes Like IKEA

Don't get me wrong; I love IKEA. I love everything about IKEA: the catalog, the 75¢ champaigne flutes, the ballpit, the assemble-it-yourself furniture that makes you feel like you're making an important contribution to your dorm room's decor. Not such a big fan of the $99 shipping fee, but that's kind of off-topic here. Point is, I was at the Scandinavian cafeteria AQCafé for a late lunch and the food just plain tasted like IKEA. Not like it was from IKEA or it reminded me of IKEA — it just plain tasted like IKEA.

If it helps to imagine what I'm talking about, let me tell you that I ordered a grilled Scandinavian shrimp sandwich with egg, lemon, dill, and smoked cod spread. I chose it basically because it was the only thing on the menu that didn't seem to bask in an aura of either smoked salmon or Jarlsberg cheese, and, as an added bonus, it didn't have some unpronouncable umlaut in its name. (Examples: Ramlösa sparkling water, Västerbotten cheese quiche.) Now, I can tell you, the food was pretty good considering it tasted like IKEA. However, there's a reason you don't actually eat the Swedish meatballs at the IKEA cafeteria: IKEA is not meant to be eaten.

So, in the end, I have to give AQCafé thumbs-down because Scandinavian food, in general, sucks ass. They've got nice furniture, though.

0 comments: